Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kitchen/Living Room: Zippy Corn Yellow Chevron No-Sew Curtains

For the last four months, I've been making curtains for 
our kitchen and living room...and I finally finished them this weekend!

This was a big project because I made 7 panels that were extra long (118 inches each) for our 10-foot ceilings. For each panel, I used 3.5 yards of Premier Prints Zippy Corn Yellow fabric ($8.48 a yard) and one package of Heat 'n Bond ($2). I even have enough leftover fabric to make a couple throw pillows for our living room! 

To begin, I rolled out the fabric on our living room carpet.
I wanted my finished curtains to be 118-inches long, 
but I cut the fabric at 122 inches to allow for hemming: 

I used my iron to fold down the edges and then put Heat 'n Bond inside the folds to hem the top and both sides of each panel. I worked my way around the fabric...putting my iron on the edges for 3 seconds at a time in order to bond the fabric together and create a smooth edge. 

Then, I used a pack of curtain clips ($7) to hang each panel. 
Thanks to Tal who hung these curtain rods from JcPenney:

While the panels were hanging from the rod, I used Heat 'n Bond to hem the 
bottom of each panel, so they barely touched the floor:

My curtains cost $32 each, which is a bargain compared to similar curtains online. For example, I could've had custom curtains made by this seller on Etsy for $65 each. These Maize Zigzag curtains from West Elm are $59 for 108 inches:

Curtains are expensive, and I'm happy that I saved $200 by making these curtains myself (versus buying similar ones from Etsy or West Elm). I like how our yellow chevron curtains add some color and pattern to our kitchen and living room!

No comments: