Sunday, July 15, 2012

Picture Hallway

Some people have a picture wall. Our family has a picture hallway...with around 70 photos and mementos:


And I heart it:

Last year I created this picture wall:


A few days ago, I completed a similar picture display on the opposite wall (which was one of my summer project goals):


About 6 weeks ago, I selected and printed the pictures I wanted for the wall:

Then, I created newspaper templates and attached them to the to the wall with painter's tape. I made sure that I had the correct number and sizes of horizontal and vertical templates for the photos I had previously selected for the wall. Over the next few days, I arranged and rearranged the templates (like a jigsaw puzzle) until all the pieces worked together to create a balanced display.

A couple weeks ago, I picked up an assortment of 40 white Ribba picture frames from Ikea: 


Then, I used a level and Command (velcro) strips to hang the pictures and avoid damaging our walls with dozens of nail holes:


In all, I used around 40 frames with 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 pictures:


Although there are around 70 photos on both walls, I think the overall effect is subtle and cohesive with the white frames and black and white photos:


Tal, Savannah, and I love our picture hallway because it's a reflection of our love for our family and a reminder of our favorite memories:

Our family passes the photos many times each day, and Savannah often stops to look at and talk about them:


"Look, Mommy, that's a picture of when you and Daddy got married."

"I was the flower girl in Uncle Benny and Aunt EJ's wedding."

"Hey, Mommy, that's me with Grandma Judy!"

"That's me when I was baby. Mommy's in the hospital. The doctor
took me out of Mommy's tummy." :)


In the coming years, I plan to add and change the photos, artwork, and mementos in our picture hallway as Savannah grows:


On the opposite wall is the picture wall I created last year: 








No comments: