Friday, April 11, 2014

Backyardigans: Part 16 (Laying Sod)

Earlier this week, Tal removed the sod in our backyard:

Today Tal and I have a new lawn in our backyard!

At 9:30 this morning, one bag of compost and 
one pallet/48 rolls of tall fescue sod were delivered to our house:

In order to have a good foundation for our new grass,
Tal shoveled the compost/soil/fertilizer mixture into the
 wheelbarrow and spread it in the backyard:


After spreading the compost, Tal, my mom, 
and I spent 1.5 hours laying 48 rolls of sod:

Tal did the hard work.
 He lifted every sod roll, put them the wheelbarrow, 
and dropped them into place for me and my mom:

I was glad my mom was here to help me unfurl the sod rolls and butt up the seams.
Unfortunately, in my pregnant state, I just wasn't able to lift the sod rolls 
and squat down easily like last year when Tal and I laid sod in our front yard:

Tal and I love our new lawn!

Over the next two weeks, we'll wait for our new grass
 to take root before Tal mows it for the first time:

In the meantime, we'll be watering our grass daily!  

Tal and I have saved $3,000 for our 2014 backyard makeover, and here's a breakdown of our expenses so far:

$1,600  Playset
   $400  Plastic Playground Border
     $60  Landscape Fabric and Stakes
     $56  Mulch (4 truckloads)
     $70  Sod Cutter Rental
     $15  Dump
   $446  Sod, Compost, and Delivery
-------
$2,647

No comments: