Monday, April 7, 2014

Backyardigans: Part 14 (Sod Cutter)

With the completion of Savannah's play area in February, 
Tal and I are halfway done with our 2014 backyard makeover:


Now that the weather is warmer, 
Tal and I are turning our attention to the grass in our back yard:

Right now the grass in our back yard isn't pretty, 
but hopefully it will be when Tal and I lay new sod this weekend:

 Last Saturday, Tal and I rented a sod cutter to break up the grass.
 The sod cutter was heavy and cumbersome, 
so Tal pushed the machine while I pulled and directed it:

Tal, Grandma Judy, and I spent 1.5 hours cutting and rolling the sod:

It was hard work, and we were all exhausted and dirty when we finished:

We filled many wheelbarrows with sod and dumped them in the back of Tal's truck.
Then, we dumped the sod at the yard waste landfill:

This is how much sod we removed last Saturday.
The good news is that Tal removed the remainder of the sod tonight, 
so I'll post pictures soon!

On Friday, Tal and I are scheduled to have one pallet of tall fescue sod 
and one bag of compost delivered to our house. 
If everything goes as planned, we will have a new lawn by this weekend!

Tal and I have budgeted $3,000 for our 2014 backyard makeover, and here's a breakdown of our expenses so far:

$1,600  Playset
   $400  Plastic Playground Border
     $60  Landscape Fabric and Stakes
     $56  Mulch (4 truckloads)
     $70  Sod Cutter Rental
     $15  Dump

No comments: