Monday, March 30, 2015

Settling In

Well, it's been almost two months since I returned to work on February 2. Although my heart's desire is to be stay-at-home mom, I have chosen to be a working mom instead. Staying at home with Hadley would require some major life changes, namely moving to a much smaller house and trading in our new vehicle. As a working mom, I try to have a positive attitude and be thankful that my income enables us to live in a safe neighborhood with great schools, save for retirement, and pay off our debt. 

I'm also thankful that I work at an excellent school that is only a mile from our house. It's awesome that Savannah attends Kindergarten at my school. I love waving at Savannah in the hallway, eating lunch with her in the cafeteria, and hanging out with her before and after school in my library. 

While I'm at work, I have peace of mind knowing that Hadley is in good hands. Hiroko and her daughter-in-law Yu take care Hadley, as well as 4 other teachers' children, in Hiroko's home. 

Hadley (4 months old at the time), Yu, and Hiroko

Being a mom is the best and hardest job in the world. Most days I struggle to balance the expectations and demands of work and motherhood, but I strive to be the best mom, wife, and teacher/librarian that I can be.

Our mornings and evenings are hectic, but Tal and I share responsibilities and work as a team. I wake up at 4:30 A.M., so I can pump and get ready before Tal, Savannah, and Hadley get up at 6:00 A.M. I dress the girls, while Tal loads our vehicles. At 6:30 A.M., the girls and I pile into the car. I drop off Hadley at Hiroko's house by 6:50 A.M. and get to school around 7:00 A.M. I open the library for students and staff at 7:15 A.M. 

While at work, I prioritize and start working on what needs to done the next day. To make this happen, I work hard. I work smart. I work quickly. I stay on task. My daily goal is to finish my work responsibilities at 2:45 P.M., so I can leave school and spend time with Savannah and Hadley.

The girls and I get home around 3:30 P.M. most afternoons. I make bottles and lunches for the next day. I spend an hour helping Savannah with her homework. Then, if time allows, Savannah and I eat dinner before Tal gets home at 6:30 P.M. When Tal gets home, we all put on our jammies and get ready to put the girls to bed from 7-8 P.M.

As working parents, Tal and I realize that our time with Savannah and Hadley is precious. We make a conscious effort to spend quality time with our girls and give them lots of love and attention. 

No comments: