Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sod Summer: Reveal!

After three months of  hard work, Tal and I are done with our "Sod Summer" project!

Here's what our front yard looks like today:

When Tal and I bought our house more than 2.5 years ago, 
it was an eyesore due to lack of maintenance:

Last summer, Tal and I improved our home's curb appeal by removing 
11 bushes, planting 17 new bushes, putting down landscape fabric, and spreading mulch:

Summer 2012

In April, Tal launched our "Sod Summer" project by pulling  out five prickly holly bushes:

On the sides of our house, we put down landscape fabric and mulch for weed control:

In May, Tal and I used a sod cutter to cut up the grass in our front yard:

Then, we used a tiller to break up the dirt clods and stubborn roots:

Next, Tal and I rolled up the sod, threw it in the back of Tal's truck, 
and dumped two truckloads at the landscape landfill. 
Our yard looked like a wasteland for two weeks:

On May 24, Tal and I spent 8 hours laying 90 rolls of sod:

Then, we used our recently repaired irrigation system to water our new grass twice a day...


...and waited three weeks for our new grass to take root:

And then Tal gave our yard its first haircut:

On the 4th of July, Tal and I cleaned up the last two areas in our front yard 
and put down bales of pine straw for weed control:  

To add some color and personality, I hung a yellow wreath on our front door...

...and spray painted the planters turquoise and planted some new arborvitaes in the pots:

Today our grass is lush and green:

From the street, our house looks updated and well-maintained: 

Tal and I love the results!













No comments: