Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Goals Revisited

As 2012 comes to a close, I'm looking back at the personal, professional, and home goals that I made at the beginning of the year.

Keep reading to find out how I did:

1. Keep it simple. The first four months of 2012 were incredibly busy and stressful for our family as Tal finished taking computer classes while I coordinated tutoring at my school and finished my National Boards certification. During that time, I kept my priorities simple. I focused on studying and writing for National Boards, as well as taking care of Savannah while Tal studied for his certification exams. Thankfully, our family's hard work paid off when I passed National Boards and Tal launched a new career in information technology. 

2. Simplify. Over the last year, I've reduced my commitments. I've said "no" to numerous leadership and volunteer opportunities at school and church. Instead of donating my time, I've helped by donating supplies or money for church or school events. All in all, I've been very protective of my time with Tal and Savannah and made a conscious effort to make myself and family a priority.

3. Learn how to use my new SLR camera. My goal was to learn how to use all of my camera settings, including ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Truth be told, however, I don't think I've opened the owner's manual AT ALL this year.  Perhaps I'll become good friends with the owner's manual or take a class in manual photography in 2013...

4. Become more active. My goal was to start walking regularly again after I finished National Board and tutoring last April. However, it hasn't happened. To be honest, it's difficult for me to find the time and energy after working 10 hours each day. Plus, when I get home, I only have a few hours to spend with Savannah and Tal...in addition to fixing dinner, making lunches for the next day, giving Savannah a bath, etc. I feel guilty about exercising for an hour when my time with Tal and Savannah is so limited and precious.

5. Organize and declutter. In 2012, I made our medicine closet and pantry more functional and pretty with color, labels, and baskets.

Medicine Closet Makeover

Pretty Pantry

6. Tackle a few small home improvement and decorating projects. I'm really happy with the progress that Tal and I've made in decorating our home this year. After living in our house for two years, I finally can say that it feels like home and is beginning to reflect our style and personality. In 2012, Tal and I've focused on adding more color, pattern, and functionality to our home by completing some of the projects below:
  • Add wainscoting to our kitchen bar area.
  • Hang a mirror in our half bathroom
  • Hang some artwork in the living room and kitchen
  • Repaint the kitchen
  • Paint the backs of the built-in bookcases in the living room
  • Paint the backs of the built-in bookcases in the bonus room
  • Style the bookcases in the living room and bonus room
  • Organize Savannah's toys in the living room
  • Create a picture wall
  • Add some rugs for the kitchen, entry, and hallways
  • Add a pair of lamps in the living room
  • Buy and paint a dresser for Savannah's bedroom
  • Buy a larger (king-size) bedspread for our bed

No comments: