Monday, September 3, 2012

Basket Case

Today I accomplished one of my 2012 goals...by creating more functional and sophisticated storage for Savannah's toys in our living room.

Before

Keeping Savannah's toys in her bedroom or a playroom doesn't work for our family. We spend 95% of our waking hours in our kitchen/living room area. Tal and I need (and want) Savannah nearby, so we can supervise and interact with her. 

For that reason, having a family-friendly living room that includes a space for Savannah's toys is important to us. For the last 20 months, Tal and I have kept Savannah's toys corralled and accessible in the bins below. To visitors, however, it probably seemed like Savannah's toys had overtaken our living room.

Before 

For that reason, Tal and I decided to move Savannah's toys from the living room floor and organize them in baskets in our built-in shelves:

After

My Helper and Model
(wearing her bike elbow pads)

Today I dumped the toys on the floor and weeded out those were broken or had missing pieces. Then, I made a pile of toys that Savannah had outgrown or was no longer interested in. Finally, I organized Savannah's toys into 6 baskets:

Larger Toys

 Dolls and Stuffed Animals 

Dress-Up Items

Books

More Books

Photos and Small Toys

No comments: