Thursday, February 21, 2019

20 years!

Last week I celebrated my 20th anniversary in NC! In February 1999, I packed up my car and moved 900 miles from Illinois to North Carolina to start my teaching career. I only knew one family in NC. Looking back, I can't believe I was so courageous and adventurous at age 22!

Also, last week I completed my 20th year of teaching. 8 years as a 7th grade English language arts teacher. 12 years as a K-5 teacher-librarian. 20 years dedicated to changing thousands of students' lives.

Now that I've taught for 20 years, I'm eligible to receive paid health insurance, as well as partial retirement benefits for the rest of my life. Lord willing, I plan to continue teaching for the next ten years. After 30 years of teaching, I will be eligible to retire with full retirement benefits at age 52. 

During the last 20 years, I've lived in five homes, taught in four schools, earned my master's degree and National Boards certification, gotten married, and had two babies. Although I miss my family in IL, NC has been a beautiful, safe, and affordable place to live, work, play, and raise our family.



No comments: