Friday, April 24, 2009

We've Come a Long Way, Baby


I'm savoring my last few days with Savannah before I go back to work on Monday. Looking back over the last 10 weeks, I've come a long way and learned a lot:
  • Taking care of Savannah has been more challenging and exhausting than I ever expected.
  • The first few weeks were especially challenging, but it DOES get easier.
  • Savannah's grandmas are wonderful. They have the amazing ability to take care of their adult children AND dote on their granddaughter.
  • It really does take 6 weeks to recover from childbirth.
  • Somehow the lack of sleep and trying moments all seem worthwhile when Savannah smiles, laughs, or turns her head to the sound of my voice.
  • Some days are better than others.
  • Who knew I'd be so excited about Savannah's "burps" and "toots?"
  • All babies cry.
  • Thankfully, Savannah is a good baby who doesn't cry much.
  • Sometimes Savannah cries for no apparent reason.
  • Listening to Savannah cry can be heart-wrenching and make me feel helpless sometimes.
  • Sometimes I have to use everything in my "bag of tricks" in an effort to soothe Savannah. (I try feeding Savannah, burping her, changing her diaper, changing her position, rocking, shushing, talking, singing, swinging, swaddling, riding in the car, taking a ride in the stroller, etc.)
  • Savannah will stop crying--eventually.
  • Taking care of Savannah is a 24/7 job.
  • Savannah controls the amount of sleep I get each night. :-)
  • It's exciting to share in Savannah's developments and discoveries, such as when she "found" her hands, thumbs, and ears.
  • I had no idea that babies changed and learned so quickly!
  • Tal and I make a great team.
  • It's not about me anymore. Savannah's needs come before mine. Taking care of Savannah comes before eating, sleeping, and doing household chores.
  • Who knew I'd become adept at checking my email, eating, doing laundry, etc. with Savannah in my arms?
  • I can take a shower and get ready in half the time that it used to take me before Savannah was born.
  • Who knew it would take us over two hours to get ready to go somewhere?!
  • It really does take 2+ hours for me to take a shower, get ready, feed Savannah, get Savannah dressed, pump, make bottles, and stock the diaper bag.
  • Savannah brings joy to us and so many others!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Savannah is adorable. It is probably impossible to understand how demanding and joyful your new baby can be until you experience it. I will be thinking of you as you return to school on Monday.