Sunday, August 27, 2017

Visiting Emily

In June, I said goodbye to my best friend Emily. Her husband got a new job in the Washington, DC area, so Emily, her husband, and two boys moved four hours away:

June 2017


Emily has been my best friend for 10 years. In 2007, Emily and I became friends when we started working at the same school. Emily was the school counselor. I was the librarian. Five years ago, Emily and I went in different career directions, but we maintained our friendship by having monthly lunch dates at Panera (without our kids).
June 2017
Savannah (8), Hadley (2), and Xavier (8)


During our 10 years of friendship, our lives have been filled with joys and blessings. For example, in 2008-2009, Emily and I were pregnant at the same time, and our babies were born less than a week apart in February 2009:

Also, Emily and I have supported one another during the pain, loss, and/or disappointment from the death of a parent, a job change, infertility, pregnancy, parenting, children with special needs, mental illness, etc.

Emily and I are trusted friends and confidants. We can talk about anything...without fear of judgement.We laugh and cry together. We are honest and vulnerable.  We listen, love, support, and encourage one another through the good times and hard times. 

June 2017

This weekend I drove to VA to see Emily and her family. It was my first solo vacation since Savannah was born 8.5 years ago. During the four hour drive, I listened to 11 podcasts and discovered some new places for our family to visit. For example, I discovered that Kerr Lake is 30 min from our house, while the Virginia state line and Lake Gaston are 45 min from our house. The amusement park Kings Dominion is only a 2.5 hour drive.

During my stay, I loved reconnecting with Emily, as well as seeing her new house, playing with Emily's boys, hanging out at the pool, and getting 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I'm looking forward to seeing Emily again in November!

Emily's new house

Emily and Xavier (8.5)

Felix (4.5)

When I got home on Saturday afternoon, Tal, Savannah, and Hadley were eager to give me a thoughtful Hallmark card that they picked out and decorated while I was gone:


"Hoping today is a good day for you...
because you're thought about more often than you can imagine, 
and cared about so much more than words could ever say."

Tal, Savannah, and Hadley included this sweet, handwritten note:

"We love you Mommy.
Love your 2 girls and Daddy
We were thinking of you.
Welcome back to our special lady.
Love,
Tal, Savannah, and Hadley"

I love my family!

No comments: