Thursday, February 25, 2016

2016 Decluttering Challenge: Part 2 (Memory Boxes)

As part of my 2016 Decluttering Challenge, I created memory boxes for Savannah and Hadley (and my niece Harper). For each girl, I made a small, organized box where I can collect their keepsakes and mementos (report cards, school pictures, award certificates, drawings, etc.) for the next 18 years. When Savannah and Hadley are adults, I plan to give them their memory boxes to remind them of their childhood.



To get started, I bought these pink file boxes from Office Depot. Then, I put 17 hanging file folders in each box...one folder for each year. To save time, I printed these labels from IHeartOrganizing for grades Pre-K through 12th grade. I also wanted a place to organize infant and toddler mementos, so I created labels for 0-12 months, 1 year old, 2 years old, and 3 years. 


Inside each folder, I put a cover sheet from IHeartOrganizing that included a school picture, as well as the teacher's name and school's name:


Due to limited space, I am very selective about the items I put in the box (usually only 3-5 items for each year). I store the memory boxes (with a lid) in each girl's closet. (I also started another file box for each girl...where I store larger mementos, such as their first pair of shoes, a favorite blanket, etc.)

These memory boxes aren't fancy, but they will be easy for me to maintain for the next 18 years. I am excited to (finally) have an organized place for my girls' school papers and personal keepsakes!


No comments: