Saturday, December 26, 2009

Cowgirl

Earlier this week, Tal and I officially weaned Savannah from breast milk. Savannah is now drinking whole milk (hence the cowgirl reference in the title of this post). She now drinks all whole milk in her sippy cup at each meal, as well as in her nighttime bottles.

Actually, Tal and I started transitioning Savannah to whole milk several weeks ago--after we received the go-ahead from Savannah's pediatrician. Thankfully, Savannah hasn't noticed any difference between breastmilk and cow's milk--nor has she experienced any adverse reactions.

Since Savannah is weaned, I stopped pumping five days ago. (Thankfully, I haven't felt any discomfort so far.) I'd been pumping 3-4 times each day (before school, lunch, after school, and before bedtime) since Savannah was 3 days old.

Pumping has been a huge time commitment (45 minutes EVERY SINGLE DAY) during the last 10.5 months. There have been many times when I've wanted to give up, but I'm proud of myself for persevering until the end. I'm also thankful that pumping has given Savannah health benefits, as well as saved our family from buying hundreds of dollars in formula for Savannah.

No comments: