Monday, December 8, 2008

First Childbirth Class

Last Saturday, Tal and I attended our first childbirth class at the hospital where Savannah will be born. In our class, there were 12 other couples who are expecting babies in January, February, or March 2009.

The class gave us some good ideas on how Tal can support me during labor. We learned some techniques (such as using massages, warm showers, and a birthing ball) that we can use to help me relax and cope with the pain. (Tal's afraid I'm going to squeeze the life out of his hands during my contractions.)

Tal and I also learned about the stages of labor, so we'll know when to head to the hospital. We learned about our pain options (natural vs. an epidural or a narcotic), so we can make informed decisions.

Of course, when I'm in labor, it's entirely possible that nothing will go as expected, but Tal and I feel better knowing our options and being informed of how things might go.

No comments: