Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Got Green Guilt?

Often I feel that every magazine I read and every TV show I watch is "encouraging" me to "go green." Apparently, I'm not the only one suffering from a smidgen of "green guilt." An article I read a few weeks ago revealed that 22% of Americans feel that they're not green enough.

That got me thinking. What are Tal and I doing to reduce, reuse, and recycle?
  • We borrow books from the library instead of buying from a book store. (The library's cheaper anyway.)
  • We read donated magazines from the library.
  • When we're done reading our magazines, we donate them to our gym.
  • We do all of our banking online, so we don't receive paper statements in the mail.
  • I drive a fuel-efficient vehicle. (My Honda Civic averages 30-34 MPG.)
  • We donate our unwanted stuff to Goodwill a couple times each year.
  • We recently purchased an Energy Star HVAC and refrigerator.
  • We reuse our bath towels before we toss them in the hamper.
  • We turn off the water when we brush our teeth.
  • We flush less often.
  • We run the dishwasher only when it's full.
  • We reuse water bottles and don't buy bottled water.
  • We lower our thermostat in the winter and raise it in the winter. (In fact, right now it's set at a warm 82 degrees.)
  • We turn off the lights when we leave the room.
  • We turn off the lights when we watch TV at night.
Sure, we could do more, but I feel so much better knowing that we're doing SOMETHING to save the environment. Goodbye, green guilt! :-)

No comments: